Sunday, March 14, 2010

interesting websites

I've been hesitant to include some of the more extreme simple living ideas I've been working with. I know not everyone is interested in simple living to this degree but it is fascinating to know there are ways to simplify that are outside of our normal (for middle class Americans anyways) scope of thinking. If you are interested in learning more just click on the blue colored words, it'll send you right to the website.

Composting human waste. Just think, NO PLUMBING and lots of great compost. It is an elegant solution to a huge problem. This site includes the entire book, just click on the chapters and you can read it all on-line.

Making your own menstrual pads out of cloth. If you go down the page you'll see a suggestion for making wash cloth shaped pads. It works great. Wish I'd starting doing this years ago, I could've saved so much money. BTW Let me put in a vote for cloth diapers, but that is another post.

Living in a tiny house Obviously I haven't done this, but it sure does make my own little home feel really spacious. It looks like a great idea for me and Randall when the kids all leave. We stayed in a cabin this size when we were on a family vacation and I was utterly charmed with it.

And living without a car (or gearing down to fewer cars). I LOVE this book. This is an excerpt from Chris Balish's book "How to Live Well Without a Car." We've been living with one car for over a year and it hasn't been near as big hassle as I thought it would be AND we have saved so much money.

No comments: