Wednesday, April 22, 2009

lawn mowing

It is a beautiful spring day today. I love spring. This one is a bit different. I don't have grass in my backyard. The chickens have done a meticulous job of removing all the vegetation in the backyard. I have chicken wire around the garden squares, but other then the garden squares the girls have been very efficient. I have mixed feelings about this one. On the one hand we don't have to mow; on the other hand I like green. These girls are serious lawn mowers. Who knew? They didn't manage to remove it all last summer. I still had a green lawn last fall. I guess they've been working hard all winter. I just didn't see this one coming. They have free run of the entire backyard. That's a lot of space for nine chickens. They got it all. Seriously. All. Every blade. They've even eaten a six inch strip around the outside perimeter of our yard where they've stuck their heads through the fence as far as they can. On the other hand, they are loving, friendly birds that are really good at laying eggs. I love my chickie girls but we really look like poor white trash with our backyard like this. Front yard is still green.

No comments: