Wednesday, April 15, 2009

membraning


Wow. It sure was easier this time. By soaking the hides in an ash solution the ashes stained the membrane. It was tons easier to see when it was stained. It all scraped off fairly easily. So far the only hard part has been graining the neck. No wonder I had a hard time the first time I did it. I was trying to grain the most difficult part of the entire hide and not understanding what in the heck I was supposed to be doing. This time everything makes much more sense, but graining the neck was still about impossible. How ARE you suposed to be able to get the grain off of that part of the hide? I finally just gave up on the last part of it. But I got most of it off. I grained, I acidified, I got the membrane off, I wrung it out. Now I have them soaking in the soap/oil solution.

No comments: