Saturday, August 8, 2009

It was so hot today

We finally have a miserably hot summer day. It's August and I think this is the first one. July set records for being lovely, it just isn't normal. It was pretty steamy today at the Farmer's market. People still showed up, but it was just hot, how else do you say it? I LOVE air conditioning. That is probably the biggest crack in my "naturalness." I could live without a lot of things, but summer in this part of the country air conditioning is needed. That year we lost electrical power for over a week in both the summer and in the winter everyone (EVERYONE!!!!) agreed it was easier to deal with no power in the winter. When it is cold you just keep putting on more clothes and blankets, but in the summer you suffer. But today we have air conditioning and it is truly a blessing.

The chickens are so funny when it is hot-- they find the coolest, most shady part of the yard and hunker down on the ground. I think the dirt helps to cool them off. They all become mouth (beak?) breathers. They hold their wings out from their bodies, I assume that lets their body heat out. And do they ever drink a lot of water!

No comments: