Thursday, August 20, 2009

new year of seminary

I'm the new seminary teacher. We started on Monday. Seminary is the before school religion class for high school students. I knew a lot of kids might come but I was shocked when 24 kids actually showed up! That is such a huge sacrifice for them, to go to church at 5:30am every day before school. Sacrifice brings forth the blessings of heaven. They are a wonderful bunch of kids. I'm so proud of them. We are reading the Book of Mormon this year. About half of them have read it before and for half of them this is their first time to read it all the way through. I have two kids who don't speak English as their native language and one kid who is readjusting to English after speaking German for the past four years. Some kids are well-grounded in their testimony of Jesus Christ and some kids are searching and some kids just don't care. In other words it is a pretty typical class. I want to be a good influence on them. I help them find their own testimonies of their Savior. I heard a couple of the kids talking after class and one said to the other that his day just doesn't go right unless he attends Seminary. And the girl agreed. So if all they get out of Seminary is that life is better by going to Seminary then I've accomplished something.

No comments: