Wednesday, July 29, 2009

bollywood suggestions

For those of you who haven't discovered Bollywood movies yet you are in for a treat. We LOVE them. Some of them have better plots then others but they all have great dancing/singing/fun stories. And they are "cleaner" than American movies. I don't think they ever get worse then PG. I prefer that.

Here's are suggestions from us Hodgson women.

Om Shanti Om-- I love the dances in this one. It's about reincarnation (I think).
Main Hoon Na-- Action, romance, family squabbles, comedy. This is the perfect "something for everyone" movie. I LOVE it.
Kal Ho Naa Ho-- My daughter's favorite. We're always singing the music from it.
Dil Chahta Hai-- Another favorite from my girls
Veer-Zaara-- An Indian man falls in love with a Pakistani woman. Problems ensue.
Jodhaa Akbar-- More historical, supposedly a true story. We couldn't film this in America, we don't have that many trained elephants on our entire continent.
Delhi 6-- More realistic, gritty. There is still singing and dancing, but it isn't a fantasy, like most Bollywood movies.
Lagaan-- I LOVE the rain music from this one. Set in the 1800's, it is about clashes between the Indian culture and the British culture during colonization. The good guys are so good, the bad guys are so bad.
And finally, an oldie but goodie-- Bawarchi. The only movie our family has ever watched that made my children want to do good deeds for each other. It is set in the 60's, so if you can handle it being a bit dated it is a great movie.

No comments: