Monday, July 13, 2009

mid-summer

I know, I know, I need to take some pictures. I really am a lousy photographer. It is mid summer here. July is as bad as it gets, weather-wise. It is hot and humid beyond belief some days. We spend most of our time indoors during July. I really want to keep my garden going well into the fall. This is the time of year when I always feel a bit defeated. The only thing I can think of to put in are more beans, but by this time the bugs have figured out that I plant a lot of beans and are right there and good to go. The chickens scratched up my beautiful cucumber plants while I was on vacation and I pulled the sickly plants out, put fresh compost in and some new cucumber seeds. They've already popped up. It is amazing how fast things grow in the summer time.

Right now I'm getting a few beans, some lovely Yard Long Beans (a Chinese vegetable, super easy to grow, why don't more people grow these things?), onions, hot peppers, and that's about it. Oh yeah, a few tomatoes. I really am not a great tomato grower. I wish I was. I need to learn how to do it better. AND we're eating the garlic that we recently pulled out of the garden.

Oh, and the chickens are laying pretty good.

No comments: