Tuesday, July 21, 2009

stay at home mom

Whenever anyone asks me what I do I say I'm a mom. I've been a stay-at-home mom since my oldest was little. This upcoming school year will be my youngest daughter's last year of homeschool before she goes to public high school (her choice). I love my job. It doesn't pay well, but it the best job ever. This past weekend I attended a memorial for a friend who died of cancer recently. It was held at the lovely home of his niece. I had never met the niece before but in the course of getting acquainted with her she told me she was a teacher and stressed how she could NEVER stay at home, just sitting around. I managed to keep my mouth shut (not one of my greater talents). She had a preschooler and was pregnant with her second child. I felt sorry for her, she has no idea what she is missing. How I treasured those days with young children. Wearing beyond belief, but a fabulous adventure. It was a huge adjustment to go from college classes and working to staying home with the boys, but I loved it. I read to them, we explored nature together, we entertained ourselves, cooked together, played together, we grew up together. I don't remember much "sitting around" going on. The biggest freedom I remember (which I still have) is the freedom to learn whatever I wanted. I've had tons of people tell me I can do anything. Well, I can. I can learn anything I'm interested in. Largely, because I'm a stay-at-home mom and I decide what I'm doing with my time. I've been able to learn a huge variety of skills/crafts/hobbies. I haven't learned to repair cars or computers, but that is because I don't want to, not because I can't or because I don't have the time. Now I have five of my seven kids out of the house. This is my last year of homeschooling. I don't really qualify as a stay-at-home mom anymore after this year. Great job. I'll miss it.

No comments: